Public Exchange on Augmented Reality in the Performing Arts
January 9, 2020, 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Location: State Studio, Hauptstraße 3, 10827 Berlin
How can augmented reality be used within the field of the performing arts and what effect does the use of digital strategies have on the performance, the audience and the location of the performance?
In this year’s Digi-Lab in cooperation with the Aurora School for ARTists at HTW Berlin University of Applied Sciences, four artists worked with experts from the digital world and dedicated themselves to questions regarding the use of, opportunities and risks of augmented reality in the performing arts. Over the course of this public exchange, the participating artists will present the results of their work in State Studio and open up a space for discussion with the audience and experts working at the intersection of performance and augmented reality.
To register, please send an email to beratung(at)pap-berlin.de by January 6, 2020.
Digitalization Triple IV: Augmented Reality – A laboratory series on the topic of the independent performing arts in the digital age
Applications are no longer possible!
The Digitalization Triple is intended for artists and culture makers within the independent performing arts community who would like to research questions and strategies exploring the relationship between the performing arts and augmented reality.
Digitalization is omnipresent. It has changed the conceptualization, production, distribution and reception of art and culture. In doing so, the analogue has not shifted out of the focus of artists and culture makers - to the contrary, an increasing number of artists have been interested for a number of years in augmented reality, precisely because this technology allows a combination of both worlds. Artistic spaces and communication media have become potential projection areas for digital content.
In cooperation with the project AURORA – Anwendungs- und Weiterbildungszentrum für Augmented Reality (Application and Further Education Center for Augmented Reality) of the Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft (HTW Berlin - University of Applied Sciences), the fourth Digitalization Triple, Augmented Reality, explores the opportunities for the performing arts within the modern digital world and researches this topic by using new technologies, new working structures and new narratives. This promotes the exchange of knowledge and practice between the worlds of art, software development and science.
The primary focus will be placed on the following questions:
- How does current artistic work reflect technological questions for the modern digital age?
- How do basic components of theater, such as the role of the performer or the position of the audience, change through the use of augmented reality?
- What are opportunities and risks of artistic research with augmented reality?
- What are existing augmented reality solutions from the performing arts and how can our own realizations be developed building upon these solutions?
- The Digitalization Triple is made up of two lab days and a public exchange.
When: October 16 & 17, 2019, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Location: AURORA, School of Artists, Wilhelminenhofstraße 75A, 12459 Berlin Building H | Room 202
In the lab, the selected participants will work together with programmers and scholars and their project and the specific questions.
When: October 23, 2019, 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Location: State Studios Berlin
(Participation is mandatory, please be sure to keep the date free)
Digitalization Triple I-III
The laboratory series Digitalization Triple has a total of 3 content-based focuses:
Digitalization Triple I: "Artistic Space" (concluded)
The Digitalization Triple I: Artistic Space took place from November 2016 to February 2017 and invited artists and culture makers of the independent performing arts community to examine their questions dealing with artistic space:
- What realms of possibility does digitalization open for the artistic space of the independent performing arts beyond digital theater marketing and the complete collection by the creative industry?
- How does the connection between the performing arts and digitalization produce truly fantastic forms of performance?
Digitalization Triple II: "Illustrative Space" (concluded)
The Digitalization Triple II "Illustrative Space" invited artists and culture makers from October 2017 to January 2018 to (further) develop specific questions/ideas regarding the depiction and/or documentation of their art in digital space:
- How does digitalization affect the illustrative space of art?
- What relevance and what opportunities exist in the archiving and use of digital copies?
Digitalization Triple III: "Political Space" (application process ongoing)
To the Archive